Nimian Garden Open Beta

Screenshot of the Action Adventure Garden game, Waterfall Woods

I’ve just posted an open beta version of Nimian Garden : Waterfall Woods here:

I’m going to be listening to feedback and watching it over the next little while to see what works and what doesn’t. I like to think of it as an Action-Adventure Garden game – that’s a nice little niche genre that remains relatively unexplored so far.

It takes place in the Continent of Nimia, the setting for some of my other games like Nimian Hunter and Nimian Flyer Legends (are you starting to see a theme here?). The game was created using the free Sandy 3D API for flash http://www.flashsandy.org/ , a very game-friendly/artist-friendly way to get 3d into your flash games.

with 7 comments

Written by protopop

January 11th, 2010

7 Responses to 'Nimian Garden Open Beta'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Nimian Garden Open Beta'.

1. look nice, and great use of Sandy3d engine.
    I have to say I am jealous :)

mclelun

19 Jan 10 at 8:45 am

2. Thanks very much:) I took a look at your blog (http://www.mclelun.com/blog/) and your work on DeviantArt and your artwork is really incredible. I’m a huge fan of bright bold designs and urban scenes, like Jet Set Radio, and your art just looks really cool. I especially like ‘Crazy World’ (http://mclelun.deviantart.com/art/Crazy-World-86660204) and ‘Junk Bot’ (http://mclelun.deviantart.com/art/Junk-Bot-102361132)

protopop

19 Jan 10 at 10:10 pm

3. Thanks, :)

I am wondering how you did the terrain in this game.
    Did you model it using 3d modeling software and import to Sandy? or is it some sort of height map, or terrain generation?

mclelun

20 Jan 10 at 7:21 am

4. Originally i would create and import actual 3d geometry. But now i use heightmaps and generate them inside flash, using a modified version of Collin Cusce’s Sandy Terrain class. I’ve written a new blog post about it here: http://protopop.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/sandy-3d-heightmap-terrain/
    It includes Flash source files you can download and try out:)

protopop

20 Jan 10 at 6:22 pm

5. When I played the game I thought it was pretty fun.

Being straight i was pissed off on my first guest run when i thought that after the vine jump I would never see the girl again and get her heart to max so I ended up with Brell and was so pissed off when I saw her come back (Insert Rageguy face ffffffuuuu)

On my second run I successfully had a date with Nemonnee but, the guy still has his date quests on and I wonder then if or when the guy’s dating quests will be turned off from me getting a (spoiler) from the girl

On this second try I found a talking garden gnome who said to come here later if I wanted to talk

when I talked to him after the date I ended up finding out my name and also finding out that Rando is the Nimian Hunter

At this point I went back to play Nimian Hunter again ( agian using the loophole of going back in time and killing Xexis after feeding him the crystal flyer

For the next two days your gardening game has put me in depression from finding out the anonymous hunter had fallen in love.

thanks, thanks alot.

Anonymous,

3 Mar 10 at 4:02 am

6. You make me laugh:) I’m glad you had so many adventures – you even remember everyone’s name, I’m impressed! As for the time line, Nimian Garden takes place before the events in Nimian Hunter. It’s the story of when Rando fell in love for a second time. Believe it or not, I have a pretty comprehensive set of stories about these characters in my head (Nemonee’s back-story would probably leave you even more pissed). I only hope I’ll have the opportunity to tell as many of them as possible before I go. Reading funny, engaging comments from players like you definitely keeps me inspired:) Thanks for taking the time to comment.

protopop

3 Mar 10 at 4:23 am

7. [...] Nimian Hunter 2, the prequel to Nimian Hunter that continues the adventures of Rando. Alongside Nimian Garden, they tell the story of Rando’s past and his involvement with the war and his part ion the [...]